Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Sun is Bright in my Eyes.

I have heard that one of the greatest things to experience is love, and be loved in return.

This sounds mystical, magical and wonderful.

And that if you love something, you should give it away.. and if it comes back to you, then you know it was real....or something like that.

Why would I want to give it away if I love it in the first place?

I think I semi-agree with both of the above love statements. Feeling love in return is a phenomenal experience - it is something that I (especially) constantly long for - in all of my close relationships. The problem with this theory, however, is how is one able to gauge the amount of love one is harboring inside of oneself, and how can it be measured against the love of another? I do agree a lot with the second statement, though I don't know how I feel about releasing a love I already have and rely on... but I do understand the underlying theme that if you truly to love something, then you will be willing to be without that said thing/person because you only want the complete, absolute best for them... even if that means it isn't you. But you can still love - and still hope - but be content in knowing that you have loved enough to let something have the freedom to explore and find their own way - which could end up being you anyway.

I make this love-thing so complex. There are so many different types and levels and ways to experience love. Some are good, some are terrible - but in the end they all teach.

We (I, especially) were created to love.
To desire it.
To drink it.
To soak it in.
To make it.
To break it, even.

But in the end, no matter how heartbreaking or despairing we may feel, we still crave it.


Thoreau wrote that is that there is no remedy for love, but to love more.

And I couldn't agree more with that statement.

So that's what we must do.

To everyone.

Even ourselves.

No comments: