Thursday, October 2, 2008

The first time I ever heard Bright Eyes was my freshman year of high school when Lindsay burnt me a CD with a couple of songs on it. It was then I began my love/hate relationship with Conor Oberst. For years and years Conor's shitty vocals and not so excellent guitar skills soothed my distressed soul. He became somewhat of my God during some of the mosto trying times in my life when he shouldn't have been. I don't regret it though. It's nice to have someone singing things I can relate to.
I felt I could die happy after the first time I saw Bright Eyes my junior year. It was incredible. It began my love affair with shows and the outterbody experience that comes along with them. I don't know if I have even been more emotional at a show. The next day my voice was gone from singing so hard and inhaling all of that illegal smoke in the Thomas Wolfe.
The second time I saw Bright Eyes was less exciting. Still an awesome show, but travelling for shows is something I am not a fan of. Maybe it's just the crowd I was with that makes that show less enjoyable when recalling it.
"Happy Birthday to Me" is the first song I really related to my life. That summer I fell in love, I think, and for the entire year after that song brough solice to me.
I can successfully relate a song by Conor to major events in my life.
I don't know if I should brag on that or not.

No comments: