Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Thoughts on Twitter.

Typically, I formulate in my head what I want to say in a blog before I actually sit down to type it. This approach to blogging makes no sense to me whatsoever because I don't even do that with any of my school papers or assignments. They're mostly spur of the moment. I was just laying in bed wondering if I really should type my thoughts knowing that maybe some of my faithful readers who do Tweet could be offended. But whatevs.

From Dictionary.com:
twit⋅tertwɪtər/
1.to utter a succession of small, tremulous sounds, as a bird.
2.to talk lightly and rapidly, esp. of trivial matters; chatter.
3.to titter; giggle.
4.to tremble with excitement or the like; be in a flutter.

From UrbanDictionary.com:
Twitter
-A form of chatline for social media "experts" to add thousands of random strangers and wank off to impress other social media "experts" by posting links to articles about the phenomenon of social media
-A social networking site that deals with simply status updates. Instead of friends you have "followers" and you can follow people as well

I must confess that several months ago, I made a Twitter. This was way before MC Hammer and Barack Obama. I think my only update consisted of the word "um" or "uh", and I have not updated sense. It's basically the same as Facebook/Myspace/e-mail/blogspot/text messaging. I mean really. Why update both your Twitter status and Facebook status. Is one supposed to be "more artsy" than the other? I feel like that if I did regularly update a Twitter, a day would be as follows:

9:15 am:"Just woke up. I need to pee."
9:30 am:"Just got out of the shower. I hope Chelsea didn't pee in it."
9:54 am: "Walking to class. Put new pictures of FB last night."
10:27 am: "In class. The person beside me smells. I need to pee."
10:34 am: "@sarahsmom Mom why do you have Twitter now."
11:39 am: "Almost out of class. Who wants to go to lunch? Tweet me."
12:16 pm: "Lunch in the cafeteria always sucks. I need to poop."
1:17 pm: "At work. Still need to poop."
2:32 pm: "Finished with work. Bored. Tweet me."
2:45 pm: "@sarahsmom I'll call you later."
3:87 pm: "Reading. Finally pooped. Talked to mom on the phone. While pooping."
5:45 pm: "Dinner in the cafeteria always sucks. I need to poop."
7:30 pm: "I hate Spanish. I'm going to avoid doing it as long as possible."
9:45 pm: "I wish the Office had come on tonight."
12:03 am: "Don't tweet me I'm going to bed. Oh yeah and I updated my blog."
12:12 am: "@sarahsmom Mom quit Tweeting me and go to bed."

So what really convinced me to type all this blog is when a friend, who shall remain nameless, woke me up to ask if I had any laundry detergent. As I was rummaging around the washer/dryer area searching for some, she proceeded to tell me that another friend of ours asked, via Twitter, if she could sew the hole in his pants back together. This made me lol. What if she had not checked her Twitter for days, and my friend with the hole in his pants had to walk around with said hole in pants. Lots of people probably would have made fun of him. (btw: I hope you get that mended, friend.)

Also, whats up with celebrities and Twitter? For bands it's like, "Writing our new Record." And it's the same updates for months, until, "Recording our new Record." Then "Releasing our new Record." Everyone is just going to stream it off the Internet illegally anyway. Or like, does Lindsay Lohan have a Twitter? I would be curious to read hers. Or what has Rod Stewart been up to lately, might try to find him on the Twit.

Okay, I really don't care if you Twitter or not, I just don't see the point of it. But if you are going to Twitter, the only person worth following is Ellen Degeneres. If this is the path the future of communication is taking us down, I fear I shall be traversing a different road.


Point, Briggs.

No comments: