Tuesday, November 3, 2009

A Thought I Thought During CharlotteOne Tonight.

Sanctuaries are places that.. are.. hard to.. describe...

I was going to say that sanctuaries are holy and something about them is sacred, but then I looked up the actual definition on Dictionary.com and "a holy or sacred place" was the first to come up, so I refrained.

But there is just something about a sanctuary.

Whether it be completely empty, filled with joyful singers, or mourning friends, a sanctuary can always make you stop and think that maybe there really is something to this whole God thing.

Whether there be glowing lights and electric guitars or a robed choir and an organ, just being inside a sanctuary can make you want to shout and sing to something a lot bigger than this world has to offer.

I can have church in a nursery or in a big room, but there is just something strikingly beautiful about worshipping in a sanctuary with towering ceilings and smooth pews.

I don't exactly know where I was trying to take this thought, but hopefully it went somewhere. Somehow.

"For great is the Lord and most worthy of praise;
he is to be feared above all gods.
For all the gods of the nations are idols,
but the Lord made the heavens.
Splendor and majesty are before him;
strength and glory are in his sanctuary."
Psalm 96:4-6

No comments: