Monday, April 5, 2010

Home Is Where The _________ Is.

Is my home made by the amount of love or care I put into a place? A person? God?

Home is where the heart is.
Home is where you wake up in the morning.
Home is where the coffee is made.
Home is where you want to return at the end of the day.
Home is where you are safe.

I lived in the same place for 18 years. Asheville. Mountains. Home.
I fell back in love with this place over this past weekend.

Then I went away. To a place I've been for three years.

A place that feels like home too. Wingate. Flatland. Home.
I love it, but need to return to that "love". Whatever love it may be.

This summer my home will be a college dorm for two months. In two different states.

If they say not all who wander are lost, then why does this concept of home/homeless drive me up the wall if I think about it too much?

I didn't start to think of Wingate as home until my sophomore year. When my mother would correct me by saying, "This is your home." when I would say "Okay, I'm going to head back home now."

Or I'll text my friends from Wingate to ask when they're coming home. Is this your home, friends?

Sometimes the place I feel the most at home is on the road in my green Saturn listening to music I love and drinking coffee that is delicious. In the in-between. With the sky above, the trees whipping by, and hours a head of me to think and worry and love.

So maybe, for me at least, my home is just this beautiful Creation I have been given the opportunity to be apart of. Enjoying all aspects of it. The moutains, the flatlands, the green, the brown, the city, the town, the blood family, the bonded family. I love it all.

No building, town, or city has to define me.

I'm from Earth. God's Creation. Population 6.something billion. I have 6.something brothers and sister and one Father. He holds all 6.something billion of us; providing, loving, saving, redeeming.
Home looks like THIS from far away and you can read a quote about it from Carl Sagan HERE.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I want to travel and live in so many places and have lots and lots of "homes."

I like to read your thoughts.

And yes, Lake Julian.

JORDAN said...

I like that Carl Sagan business.